Eleven percent (11%) of all road accidents involve motorcycle according to the U.S. Department of Transportation’s National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. It is true that you are under tremendous shock when you face any accident but maintaining your calm and composure is paramount to handle the situation and gather evidence. This will help you a lot when you pursue for insurance claim or a personal injury lawsuit.
Kinds Of Motorcycle Accidents
There are two types of motorcycle accidents, minor and major. In case of a major accident you will probably not be able to do all the necessary jobs for claiming for damages and wait for a Good Samaritan to arrive while you lay unconscious. In case of minor accidents which are not life threatening, you have minor cuts and bruises which can be treated with the medical kit in your bike.
Evaluation Of The Situation
When you maintain your composure you can evaluate the situation after a motorcycle accident. Irrespective of the pain and anxiety, a calm and composed person will not make the situation worse and will work to strengthen the position for the claim for damages. Fe essential things that you should do are:
- Assess your injuries and also the possible hazards like leaking gasoline, running traffic and move to a safer position. Check your passenger as well.
- You should then communicate and call for assistance. If you phone does not work then move to the road and flag the oncoming vehicles.
- Preserve the condition of the vehicle to use it as evidence. Consider the torn clothes as well as it can be used as evidence.
- Record details of the accident immediately including time, condition of the road and weather, obstructions, traffic signals and much more.
Things To Remember
The first thing you should do is to call 911 and call for emergency help. Call the police for help and by the time help and assistance arrives you should get all the information and contact details of other people involved in the accident including insurance details, be it a motorist or a pedestrian.
Take enough pictures of the accident scene with your smartphone but make sure the date and time is properly adjusted. The make and model, the condition of the vehicle after impact all should be photographed including the surroundings. Most importantly, do not leave the accident site until the police arrive as it might lead to criminal charges.
The Tasks To Follow
- Preserve the scene and do not try to remove the bike till the police arrive and investigate to find who is at fault.
- Give full report to the police and emergency service only and not to anyone else when they arrive. Make sure that you do not admit your fault or say sorry.
- Inform your insurance company about the motorcycle accident and once again provide all the necessary details to them.
Do not ignore the treatment provided by the medical emergency service and do not even deny to go to the hospital if you are sent by them. All these can be used as evidence in the court.